IGCS, with our continued expansion and reach of over 2750 members, has partnered with the Globe-athon to End Women’s Cancers, an international movement and “call to action for groups, healthcare professionals, survivors and the lay public to unify global efforts in the common goal of fostering public awareness and education about gynecologic cancer.”
Together, we will harmonize awareness events across the globe in an unprecedented effort to raise awareness of women’s cancers.
CALL TO ACTION
This announcement is a Call to Action for IGCS members to become involved. Our goal is for members to host as many events as possible in September—Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month—in the weeks before the 2019 IGCS Global Meeting in Rio de Janeiro (September 19-21, 2019).
We encourage you to support advocacy efforts in your country and to contact Dr. Larry Maxwell directly at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your plans.
Dr. Larry Maxwell, the founder of the Globe-athon, says “I used to think that my contributions to my profession would be made in the OR, in the lab or in working with my hospital administration. However, I’m convinced that the biggest opportunity that each of us has is through promoting advocacy and becoming activists in support of our patients.” Read more about how and why he started Globe-athon and what has been achieved thus far.
When we work together this September to host events across the globe, media coverage will increase, thus raising awareness of women’s cancers and empowering women on a truly international scale.
Opportunities to Participate in Globe-athon’s Worldwide Grassroots Movement
Organize and Host Awareness Events September 1-18, 2019
- Globe-athon is launching the “She Matters” Music Festival in 2019 and encouraging partners worldwide to consider organizing a musical event.
- Globe-athon can help you organize a walk, run, seminar or other event that assembles groups of survivors, families and the general public. Toolkit templates, including signage, brochures, and other materials, will be available later this month on the Globe-athon website to download and personalize for your country events.
Participate in Social Media Initiatives
- Viral Video Campaign: Globe-athon is soliciting videos and photos from members, survivors, and others who want to help create and spread awareness of women’s cancers. The 2019 Video Campaign will be a global lip synch to Bob Marley’s “Get Up, Stand Up” and will be used as a call to action for women worldwide to stand up for their rights to access equal healthcare, particularly for cancers that strike “below the belt.” Instructions on how you can participate will be made available in the coming weeks.
- Follow Globe-athon: To spread awareness, please follow Globe-athon on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube and share posts with your patients, colleagues, friends, and family.
Develop Educational Material
- Globe-athon has worked with experts to develop educational videos for patients, survivors, and the general public and is seeking volunteers to create content and translate current educational material into many languages. IGCS members interested in developing educational videos or other material on the prevention, diagnosis, or treatment of women’s cancers should contact Dr. Maxwell.
IGCS is encouraged by all the work done by Globe-athon to raise awareness of women’s cancers on a global level. With the addition of Dicey Scroggins on our team, we are thrilled to be partnering with this outstanding organization to enhance our advocacy efforts. Please email Dr. Larry Maxwell at email@example.com with any questions or ideas you would like to share.