Journal of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society and the European Society of Gynaecological Oncology
Call for Applications
Dr. Uziel Beller soon will complete his term as Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, a publication of the International Gynecologic Cancer Society (IGCS) and the European Society of Gynaecological Oncology (ESGO). Dr. Beller has successfully guided the Journal since 2009 with great dedication and expertise, instituting significant enhancements in the Journal.
IGCS and ESGO invite applications for the next Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer
The International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, founded in 1940, is the official scientific journal of IGCS and ESGO. The Journal publishes articles relevant to detection, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gynecologic malignancies. The Journal audience is gynecologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, and research scientists with a special interest in gynecologic oncology. IGCS and ESGO are committed to publishing and disseminating the highest quality work to inform daily clinical practice and transform the practice of medicine in our specialty.
A journal relaunch is planned for January 2019 to differentiate the Journal from competitors and increase its value to members and the broader gynecologic oncology community. To serve as the Journal’s next Editor-in-Chief, IGCS and ESGO seek an individual who will raise the quality of science and increase the educational value of the Journal.
The applicant must be a respected and accomplished gynecologic oncologist who is well organized, energetic, innovative, and dedicated to building the Journal as an important and valuable resource for the medical and scientific community. Successful applicants will have experience as an editor, associate editor, or productive editorial board member for a peer-reviewed journal. Responsibility for the content of the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer will rest entirely with the Editor-in-Chief and the Editorial Board. The Editor-in-Chief will also work collaboratively to ensure that the Journal meets the goals of IGCS and ESGO. The applicant must be comfortable working with electronic technology in order to expedite review and publication of submitted manuscripts. The Editor-in-Chief and Editorial Board will be supported by a professional Managing Editor at a location to be determined.
The successful candidate will become Deputy Editor beginning September 1, 2017 and will work with Dr. Beller, IGCS, ESGO and the publisher on a transition through June 2018, at which time the Deputy Editor and his or her Managing Editor will begin receiving manuscript submissions. The Deputy Editor will assume the position of Editor-in-Chief officially on January 1, 2019. The Editor-in-Chief is expected to serve a term of five (5) years.
Interested individuals should submit an application in English that includes the following:
- A curriculum vitae;
- A succinct letter of interest and qualifications, and addressing how the candidate will accommodate the time demands of editing the Journal;
- A vision statement of 700 words or less for the next five years of publication of the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer. Items of specific interest to the Search Committee include applicants’ thoughts on:
- The revised journal concept statement, including types of content and editorial features that best provide gynecologic oncologists with unique insights and information that allow them to support and advance the specialty
- Future direction of the Journal to include ideas on how the Journal can strengthen and facilitate IGCS and ESGO’s strategic vision to improve education, clinical practice, and scientific understand in the gynecologic oncology
- Involvement with and enhancements to online features and presentation, including multimedia
- Organization and responsibilities of the Editorial Board and editorial office
Application materials and questions for the Search Committee should be submitted by email to email@example.com. Applications must be received by Friday, March 31, 2017.
IGCS and ESGO have established an Editorial Search Committee, which comprises the following members:
- Richard Barakat, MD Search Co-Chair
- David Cibula, MD Search Co-Chair
- Michael Quinn, MD
- Denis Querleu, MD
- Hennie Botha, MD
KWF Consulting will facilitate the search.
The Search Committee will review applications and select individuals for telephone/skype interviews. From those interviews, a small number of finalists will be selected for in-person interviews. Following the interviews, the Search Committee will decide which of the finalists it will recommend to the Council of both organizations for review and ratification. All candidates will be notified of the Council’s decision no later than July 31, 2017.