IJGC Editorial Fellowship is
Now Accepting Applications
The Editorial Team at the International Journal of Gynecological Cancer is offering two 5-month Editorial Internships from February-June 2022 and July-November 2022 for all those interested in learning about the processing of manuscript submission, peer-review analysis, revisions, and ultimately production and publication, as well as journal management and strategy.
This experience will match the Editorial Fellow with the Editor-in-Chief, and together they will work to assure for a very positive and productive learning experience.
During their appointment, fellows will gain experience in peer review processing, proposal/manuscript development, medical journal production, working with authors, editorial board management, and implementing a strategic vision plan. The objectives of the project are:
- Increase interest in “editorial” and other publication-related activities for trainees and fellows
- Increase understanding and participation in the IJGC review process
- Tighten the relationship between the “new” generation of gynecological oncologists and more experienced generations
- Increase the visibility of IJGC among younger gynecological oncologists
The Fellows will participate in manuscript decisions, strategic planning for the journal, editorial team conference calls, social media planning and strategy, and the journal’s annual meeting. In addition, the fellow will work on special projects based on personal areas of interest and the needs of the IJGC and Editor-in-Chief expectations. Fellows will develop the skills to further their own research careers and effect change in the quality of medical research. Examples of activities undertaken during the Fellowship might include the following:
- Serve as Editorial Fellow for 5 months.
- Peer review of manuscripts and consult with the Editor-in-Chief on peer review
- Learn how electronic manuscript review systems work
- Be involved in the final decision of selected manuscripts together with the Editor-in-Chief
- Participate in monthly Associate Editors telephone conference calls
- Participate in all meetings of the Editors during the annual meetings of IJGC as per candidate’s availability
- Recruit trainees as reviewers as determined by the Editor-in-Chief
- Develop online initiatives (depending on the needs)
- Prepare and participate in IJGC’s monthly Twitter Journal Club, IJGC mentors’ podcast, and discuss questions with the Editor-in-Chief about questions suitable for the weekly podcasts. Assist the Social Media Editor with promotion of the journal through Facebook and Twitter, including posting from the @IJGCfellows Twitter account
- Assist with developing content by identifying potential authors and topics for invited articles, such as Review Articles, Clinical Trials, Corners of the World, and Podcasts
- Final report to the Editor-in-Chief demonstrate what was learned during the program
The IJGC Editorial Fellowship is designed for a junior faculty or fellow who wishes to build skills and gain experience through active participation in the IJGC editorial team.
Ideally, all Fellows will attend the IGCS and/or ESGO 2022 meetings (funding not available). During the meeting, Fellows will attend the IJGC Editorial Board meeting, write meeting summaries about important sessions, record interviews with speakers, and promote the meeting and the journal on social media through the @IJGCfellows Twitter account.
Candidates must have documented interest in gynecologic oncology, such as:
- fellowship/residency in oncological gynecology, radiotherapy or medical oncology (completed or in progress)
- work in an oncology center
- documented publishing experience
- involvement in past IGCS, IGCS Early Career Network, ESGO, or ENYGO activities is an advantage
To apply, candidate should send:
- CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Letter of interest (one page, please be as specific as possible in detailing the reason for interest in the Editorial Fellowship and how it would benefit to you)
- Letter of recommendation from the Head of the Department or from an ESGO or IGCS Member with a statement of protected time for the performance of the fellowship functions
- List of publications or performed reviews
- Proof of proficiency in English is absolutely necessary
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30th, 2021, with the subject line “IJGC Editorial Fellowship Application.”
Applications will open on September 1 to September 30, 2021. Interviews will be held between October 1 and October 31, 2021. Fellows will be selected by October 31, 2021.
The Editor-in-Chief will evaluate the applications and select 5 individuals to become Fellows. The decision is final without right of appeal.