The IGCS Gynecologic Oncology Global Curriculum & Mentorship Program is a comprehensive two-year education and training program designed for regions around the world that do not currently have formal training in gynecologic oncology.
When physicians in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs) do not have access to specialty training, they are unequipped to treat the high volume of patients presenting with cancer and leaving women without the specialty care they need for the prevention and treatment of cervical cancer and other gynecologic malignancies. Given the rising rates of cancer in LMICs, there is a critical need to train and educate local physicians to address this epidemic.
The IGCS Global Curriculum and Mentorship Program matches individuals from higher resource settings (International Mentors) with partners in lower resource settings wishing to obtain formal gynecologic oncology training (twinning). The program is meant to serve as a capacity building initiative, investing in the effectiveness and future sustainability of each individual training program. Our team of volunteer mentors works with the local faculty and trainees at each participating institution to develop even greater capacity for clinical care, research and education related to gynecologic cancers.
- Each training site is paired with an International Mentor or Mentors. Mentors are IGCS members that have an existing relationship with the site.
- The Mentors are responsible for tracking the fellow’s progress by reviewing case logs, completing bi-annual evaluation forms, and facilitating monthly quizzes and reading assignments.
- The Mentors travel to the training site twice per year to provide hands-on surgical training and in-person education.
- The IGCS Fellows travel to Mentor’s institution for a 1-3 month observership
- The Fellows present cases to Mentors, colleagues and other IGCS members in a monthly virtual tumor board
- After a Fellow has completed the program, an oral structured clinical final examination is administered on site by a member of the IGCS Global Curriculum Examination Committee. The Fellow will receive an IGCS Certificate of Completion after completing all program requirements and passing the examination.
For more information about the Global Curriculum and Mentorship Program, please contact Mary Eiken at email@example.com.